Thursday, October 11, 2012

Kyleigh's second night

Travis went home that evening to stay with Micah, despite all the drama.  The nurses talked  me into sleeping on the OB side for a few hours... The Nicu was really busy that night with an emergency surgery on the floor (never a good day), so we really weren't supposed to be over there anyway.  At about midnight i went over to check on her and caught one of the neonatologists that was there for the surgery.  He explained that he'd examined the ultrasounds they'd done during the day, and that they saw something that appeared to be a mass in her abdomen, between her spleen and her stomach.  it was about 1x1" and appeared to be not attached to either organ, but it was hard to tell.  He wanted to do a CT scan immediately to get more information (of course there was a multiple trauma car accident that night and radiology was really busy).  He also advised us that since he wasn't sure what it was, we should be prepared for possibly doing surgery in the next 24-48 hours.

I'm pretty sure after he explained all of this my reply was, "What?!"  No one had mentioned any sort of mass, the ultrasounds were supposed to be of the area of her intestines that was of concern.  Thanks be to God, the doctor on that night is probably the sweetest and easiest one to talk to in the group.  He did his fellowship at Cincinnati Childrens, and has the great bedside manner to prove it.   Anyways... so here I was, trying to figure out what to do.  Do I call Trav is the middle of the night and have him drag Micah out? At least I had my wits about me enough to realize I could call my parents and have them come over to our house and have Travis come up here.  My parents were already having a heck of a week with her in the nicu and my grandpa in the hospital, but they'd kill me if I didn't call, so I did.  Don't remember when exactly Travis got up there, but they got her down for a CT at around 5 am.  The doctor came by shortly after (if i remember right) and explained that whatever was on the ultrasound, there was absolutely nothing on the CT scan...  Whatever it was had disappeared or never was there to begin with!  To this day there's still debate on what went on that night.  We'll rack it up to Hartman family miracle # who knows how many.  We were so relieved beyond imagination and promptly passed out in the hospital couch and chair.  LONG night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment