Sunday, December 18, 2011

A rough 24 hours...

You know you left the hospital too soon when... (should have been the title). M came down with a cold, it seems. Nothing too crazy, but paired with the respiratory issues that come with upper airway surgery, we had a MESS. About 5 times in the last 24 hours he'd cough or cry, and in about 3 seconds (no kidding), he could barely breathe. Or not breathe at all. It was almost an immediate plug of thick as glue crud in his trach. I think I can go from laying on my mattress on his floor fast asleep to upright in less than a half a second now.

When you have a trach kid, you get used to a degree of trouble breathing. It usually sounds worse than it is (you get some funny looks when you're out and about), but nothing where you have to act immediately. When trach kids get sick, you usually suction dozens of times a day, usually thick goop, but nothing immediate. This was different and a little terrifying (even for me). It's terrifying for the little guy too :( Luckily our super awesome doc was great about emailing us back and gave us some tips that have seemed to help get over the hump of the nasties. No scary episodes for the last 8 hours. And thanks to my LM mama friends, I still have my sanity. It's so nice they speak "Hollandese" (a classic special needs poem.. http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html )

So, after seeing every hour of the night last night (and probably the night before that too), I'm sure hoping for better tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment