Saturday, August 13, 2011

Managing expectations.













I don't know why I always feel the need to do this, but I do. I just want to explain a little about Micah's surgery and what to expect. I'll use these pictures as an example. The top one (the orange shirt) was the day before his last surgery in March. The bottom picture was taken in the last week. Imagine a line coming straight down fromt he bottom of his ear, and take everything back towards his spine. That's what they worked on last surgery. Does it look better? Surely. Is it fixed? Not a chance.



The goal of the next surgery is to clean up the "third" they did last time, and do the top and bottom "third" as well (by his temple and his airway). Overall, I feel like I'm pretty realistic about the outcome of this surgery and his disease in general. It's a nasty ugly disease, and for the area of the body it is, it's a pretty complicated case. (It can be more severe if it's in other parts of the body). Micah will probably come home with at least a drain. So, since his birthday is 9 days after surgery,and I don't want to delay his birthday party too much, I am just going to make this party family only. He doesn't get it yet, so it's not too bad.



We've been busy the last few weeks rearranging schedules and packing. Ever since I was a kid going to summer camp, I'll start packing weeks in advance... packing and unpacking. Now imagine throwing in a child with tons of medical supplies! I actually just find it funny anymore. I'll still end up forgetting something, no matter how hard I try.



Anyways, I guess the long and short is don't expect a homerun with this surgery, and you won't be disappointed.

And just for giggles.... Mousetrap anyone? Look, it even looks like he's eating the piece of cheese. Silly kid.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. Have church and Bible study friends who will be praying Micah right through the surgery and recovery. We're praying for you and Travis, too.

    ReplyDelete